Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Uncanny truths about Motherhood-V Morning Sickness and Nausea

Now why do they call it this?? It's not fair. It's a misconception. If you have ever experienced this, you know that this awful sickness, doesn't know wether it's morning, afternoon or night. True, it can be much more intense in the morning, after a night of an empty tummy, but it can hit at any given time. For me, the first time around it was just nausea. I had to keep something in my stomach so that I wouldn't get sick. I carried PB&J's around with me in my purse. Anytime, I would feel it coming on, I would eat a half of one. Soon I realized that if I would eat something every about 2 ½- 3 hours, I could keep the nausea monster away and I was a happy preggo mommy. The 2nd time around, I didn't want to eat. Nothing sounded good, and if it did, that's all I ate for a day, or a week. This most recent pregancy I remember when only chips and queso sounded good. I could eat tortilla chips (or fritoes for a variety) for almost two weeks. This was my lunch and dinner. Breakfast couldn't even be attempted.
I was and still am, very grateful and thankful, that I was never a full blown puker. I think I did, a few times after strawberries and someone told me it's because of the acid. OJ gives you the same results. Genius me thought, “ I can't eat anything in the morning, so I'll just have a glass of OJ and call breakfast good.” Yo, my-o! OJ in the morning on an empty stomach, no beuno. I guess you can bet what the outcome of that was. Juices all around my BF said for her were better to avoid.
Something that's suttle, something that doesn't have a lot of flavor, smell,texture , is a good start. (thus the popular saltine cracker) You have to find what works for you. If you can keep something in you at least every couple of hours, you'll will feel much better and you can almost, notice I said almost, get rid of the nausea. I didn't have it bad remember so, if you are one of those unfortunate people like my MIL that throws up all the way to the hospital to deliver, I am sorry. I can come over and take a hammer to your toe and you might forget about the sickness?
Tip: Unisom or other sleep-aid can help in the nausea department.
BF said watermelon for her helped. She lived off of that for awhile.
Also, sometimes your prenatals are what is causing the nausea so try another way to get in your vitamins and see if it makes a difference.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Trying to savor the little moments in our lives that make the memories.