Sunday, February 21, 2010

Proud Mommy

I’m so proud of my little guy. He makes me smile. (most of the time) I feel.... kind of, sort of, like I did something when he brings these reports home.
I mean, besides give him my genes, it’s his work, but I just like the feeling. We’ve made an agreement, on his request, that every spelling test he gets a 100% on, he gets a dollar. We started this when school first started and I didn't really know what kind of a speller he was. I thought, that's not bad, I can do that a couple of times a month. He’s been doing really well, taking my dollar almost every week, so now that I am broke, I think it’s time we “change our terms” or move onto the comprehension or application part.
That’s the “other” side to the spelling test. I don’t think he realizes it’s the same words that he has to put in sentences. As he is not getting 100’s on the other side. I just told him this the other week and so maybe he’ll do a little better.

The other day he wanted to watch Zak & Cody “The Suite Life” and I really didn’t want to hear that show playing, it just drives me batty. I don’t know why, usually kid shows don’t bug me, but that one does for some reason. I wanted to go lay down for a bit and he was willing to give me his dollar that he had earned today so we made a “deal”. We play the deal or no deal game when one of us wants something from the other, that the other person doesn't really want to do. I don’t know where it came about or how, but it’s become fun for us and so we have continued it. I’m sure he was the one that started it with all his negotiating skills that he uses and I don’t think he’s even seen the TV show.
For example… this is how it went down.
Booger: Mom, deal or no deal? I will give you my dollar, if you let me watch Zak & Cody while you go rest.
Me: Ummmmm………?
Booger: Plllllllleeeeeeeeeeassssssseeee?
Me: Ok. Deal!
Anyways, here I am off another point again, but I just want him to know I am proud of his “work” and “job” as he calls it and that he enjoys spelling. Is most definitely my child.
(Believe it or not, I was a great speller in school. Was in the spelling bee as well too!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good plan. You rest while he watches. Everyone wins.

About Me

My photo
Trying to savor the little moments in our lives that make the memories.