Saturday, February 27, 2010

Bloom Where you are Planted

The contest from yesterday is "still in effect ya'll". Scroll down to yesterday's post.

If you remember that I mentioned, I went to a Women's conference last weekend. This was the theme to the day. I had the privilege of listening to this wonderful girl. You can read her story on her website, but I'll give you the run down (short version) here. Briana passed out at the wheel of her car, hit the center divider on the freeway and when she came to, she no longer had the use of her legs.

Many people, given the current situation would allow their life to be down, sad, disappointing and wouldn't want to go on with life. She on the other hand, bloomed where she was planted. She has skydived, surfed, wake boarded, and more, all being confined to a wheelchair. You may recognize her as the face of Overstock.com. She is amazing! (to say the least)

Her thoughts she shared with us. "Many times I thought, "Why keep going? You can't do it, just Quit!"

1. "The opposite of success in NOT failure, it's quiting!"

What powerful words. Words of a wise, noble girl, that keeps going on with her life, and blooming and doing more, than she has ever done. What a remarkable role model for young girls!

She also said 2. "You don't have to have something traumatic as this to change the direction of your life. After all, it is a decision, a state of mind."

And lastly, 3. Time toughs never last, but tough people do!

Just think about her words today, think about a situation in your life and try to have her attitude. I post this for me, for there are things that I want to quit. I want to give up on. But I am not a quitter. I keep moving forward, keep going on. I hope that I can bloom (def.- to reach the fullest stage or development of maturity) where I have been planted, or make the most out of the situations I have been given in this life. She was a great example of doing just that, and I am so thankful I got to meet her and have her teach me!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Trying to savor the little moments in our lives that make the memories.